Scarecrow and Harvest
For a bigger version of the above picture click here.
Fall is here and so come all the trappings. Sadly the summer trappings have to go in the process. Me and Tom had talked about getting some hay and the like to decorate with. After some calling around we found out that if we went to the feed store we could get bales of hay for almost two dollars cheaper than from the market. Corn stalks too. Yeah I can feel the redneck just seeping in.
The hay was a good find and it let us showcase the few pumkins we had. We added a pitchfork, lanterns and smaller scarecrows for good measure. I ended up moving the Coleus' from the front porch to up front. Hey I figured it was getting chilly and they were getting ready to drop off as it were.
Tom had the grand notion of building a scarecrow. I was all for it and I told him it was his project...hmmm.
We all know how that goes. To stuff the scarecrow we used multiple layers of clothing. Much like a hobo would wear ten pairs of pants at the same time, one layer would go on another and another and so on.
So it was with the torso. One shirt on another on another. The clothing we got from a Salvation Army type place that would give clothes away for free. The price was right and when we went to get clothing we picked the ugliest things we could find. It felt less quilty thinking we were actually doing someone a favor by making sure they wouldn't be able to wear these travesties of fashion.
The crucifix that supported the scarecrow had the horzontal beem going through the sleeves for better support. about a foot stuck out on the top for the future head.
The grass/hay was obtained from the side of the bard where the lawn mower couldn't reach and was badly overgrown. I just grabbed handfuls of it, folded it, stuffed it and lashed it on the crow. Even though the clothing was begat at the thrifstore, they were still way to clean and dapper. They need distressed and aged. Lordy Lordy, thank the stars for spraypaint. It garbaged it out real nice like.
For the head we went to the fabric store that shall not be named and picked up some burlap.Cheap enough. They had a special for Halloween. Buttons on the other hand were a joke.To start the buttons went for two bucks a piece. Yes that right, two frigging dollars for one button. No small Chinese children were harmed in the making of these buttons, nor were they made of any special materials which is why the store shall not be named. For buttons I used wooden discs that we got at the craft store for twenty five cents each. I drilled holes in them and dremeled an edge and spray painted them and they worked out just fine.
I didn't want the head to be all flapping around. Tom had procured a styrofoam wig head. I sawed it in half and duct taped the two halves to center pole. The burlap was wrapped around that. The wooden buttons were sewn on and stitching was added. Again, thatk goodness for spraypaint. I spraypainted the smile through a stencil made from a beer carton and added some shading.
Not too shabby.